In the dime stores and bus stations, people talk of situations, read books, repeat quotations, draw conclusions on the wall. Some speak of the future,
my love she speaks softly, she knows there’s no success like failure, and that failure’s no success at all.

— Bob Dylan (Love Minus Zero/No Limit)

Thursday 13 June 2013

Day Twenty-Six: Capitol, Court, And The Rockies

As the Capitol building had been closed on the weekend, and it was so close to the hostel, I thought that i can't really not go inside.  Although it was a nice building, again similar to the Capitol in Washington, it lacked the size, interest, and importance of its original. The tour was interesting and I learned a fair bit about Coloradan politics, but that's because there was not much to learn.  Probably the most interstitial part was the visit to the old Supreme Court building inside the Capitol that had been the site of many controversial state laws, including the legalisation of same-sex marriages and the decrimilisation of marijuana.

After the tour finished, I went across the road to the new home of the Supreme Court and the local federal district courts. The whole building was completely empty and I had no idea whether I could go in to any of the court rooms. As no one stopped me, I did step inside one but I felt very out of place and after taking a quick photo, I hastily retreated.

I then moved through the city, visiting a few places I had not already got the chance to see. It was on this mini adventure, that I saw perhaps my favourite ever piece of modern sculpture art- The Big Blue Bear. This is pretty much the perfect description. It's a bear, that's blue, and 40ft high, looking into the Denver Convention Centre. Wonderful. Search for it on Google, you won't be disappointed, I promise.

As I had pretty much seen every film at the cinema, I thought it would be a great opportunity to go and see some Baseball. I got some great seats, on the 3rd storey, behind home plate to see the Colorado Rockies play the Arizona Diamondbacks. The game started very well for the Rockies, moving out to a 4-0 lead in the 7th innings, with the 'backs only getting one hitter. The 8th was a different matter however. After some shocking pitching, the scores were tied at 4-4. Luckily for the Rockies, the struck Arizona out while the bases were loaded. The game eventually went into overtime and after a scoreless innings by Arizona, and them deliberately walking the best Rockies hitter, a wonderful double led the Rockies to an enthralling victory. I was becoming good luck for the home team, with 2 wins in 2 baseball outings.

After some dinner, I headed back to the hostel as I had an early train to catch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment